Monday, January 17, 2011

Second Brew

Saturday, January 16

Lesson learned on this batch.  Do not pour scalding hot water into a (I assume) cold container.  Otherwise you may hear a "pop" and this may occur:


This delayed my next brew, as I needed to take another trip to Target.

Sunday, January 17

Ingredients
  • 5 spoons of Lychee Black Tea
  • 1 cup 365 Organic Sugar
  • Original KK Scoby, and new offspring

New batch started today. Used some existing black tea.


Hopefully this doesn't suck.  The tea looked reasonably well.  Nice and dark.  I made a little batch in my tumbler, and although it looks nice and rich, its rather mild for as dark a tea as it makes.


Learned lesson, and steeped tea and sugared in the pot


35 Minute steep, and added sugar.  Poured remaining 8 cups of water in the newly christened vessel, and then added the sweet tea.


Note that I'm not a professional food blogger, or else I would have cleaned up a wee bit.  Notice the small monkey on the counter.  This will now be known as my Hanuman batch.


My new scobies in the new home.


As always, Snow White stands vigil.  See you in a week.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your lesson learned! Some vessels can handle a higher temp than others.

    The best practice would be to let the hot water cool a bit or to warm up the vessel.

    Your tea looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes this was a lesson learned no doubt, having to go spend another $20 at target was not what i wanted to do either. i shall not make this mistake again :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is Snow White the secret to a good brew? Nothing screams dad like to toys in the background of a picture, I do it all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. snow white is the protector of the booch, and that happens to be a porcelain doll, so the kids dont get to play with that. i have the dwarfs too, i should break them out :)

    ReplyDelete